Last year, I was just as thrifty and imoverished as I am this year. I didn’t have the moulah to buy a polystyrene wreath, I had no pool noodle to hand, but I really wanted a wreath. So I used a bit of genetically provided ingenuity (thanks Mum) on how could I make one with things I had at home.
1. A wooden hanger
2. Heavy cardboard
3. Old clothes – stretchy works best – cut into strips
4. Burlap – in strips
5. The original wreath – things to embellish – pine cones, berries, & pipe cleaners to attach the goodies.
5b. The new wreath – things to embellish – two colours of felt cut into heart shapes, complementary wool to attach the goodies.
Using a wooden hanger, I attached a cardboard semi-circle to the bottom of it – making an approximate circle. I wraapped it in old clothes several layers thick to pad it up, and then wrapped it in red burlap. Some red berries I’d bought for $1 and pine cones I’d found for free, voila, I had this beautifully misshapen, lumpy and very heavy wreath! It looked good to my eyes. Not professional or purchased, but home-made and homey.
It’s held up really well.
I retired it for spring and summer – you can see the Valentines wreath I made recently with the red berries, but Autumn is tapping her golden fingers in this hemisphere and so I pulled it out of hiding last week.
I was inspired by this lady blogger’s – friend’s – St Patrick’s Day wreath at their recent craft night.
I cut out dark red hearts and little grey hearts and used some pink yarn I had lying around to attach it. I love it!