Merry Christmas! Here’s a mug rug I made for my Mother. She loves Robins. I love Snowmen. Her favourite colour is blue, mine is red and we both love tea! It’s the perfect combination.
It’s upcycled denim (leg of a pair of jeans). I thought I’d give a mini tutorial.
- Denim jeans material
- 1″ Black square x 10
- 1″ Blue Squares x 10
- 1″ White squares x 10
- Brown felt
- White felt
- Yellow felt
- Black scraps for eyes
- Red scrap for Robin’s red breast
- White embroidery thread
- Red backing fabric of your choice
- Button for the bird’s eye
- Sew the squares together, the top strip, the bottom strip and the two side strips.
- Sew the snowman’s eyes and nose on before you attach him to the denim.
- Sew the robin’s red-breast, beak and button-eye on before you attach him to the denim.
- Cut the snowman’s head out of white felt and position him on the fabric so his neck will be underneath the border ‘scarf’.
- Attach the side strips to the denim
- Attach the top and bottom strips
- Attach the Robin now, before you add the backing.
- Embroider the snowflakes and the French Knot snow
- Attach the backing with your preferred method. I tried a few folding methods before deciding on folding the hem in and invisible stitching, because I really liked the peep of red.
Although it’s already Boxing Day here in NZ, wishing everyone Happy Holidays! Hope your season is Merry & Bright!